Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2014 09:18:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Louis Epstein <le@main.put.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cairo Problems

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 11:05 PM, Louis Epstein <le@main.put.com> wrote:
>
> > I should add that after the libGL reinstall I still get AIGLX and GLX
> > errors looking for a missing /usr/local/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so when there
> > is no /usr/local/lib/dri (again,what program would install it?) and GLX
> > "could not load software renderer".

I solved this with an install of dri.
However,as you can see from my recent "Gtk20 port?" thread on
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc my problems run deeper and replacing
the whole ports tree via svn hasn't solved them.

> You are not running WITH_NEW_XORG

Where would this be configured?
I previously had the regular xorg fail to install so installed
xorg-minimal.

> (no make.conf), so you are running a much
> older version of glib than I am.

glib-2.36.3_2 is the version now in place.

> This may be related to the issues you are
> seeing. /usr/local/lib/dri files come from graphics/dri. swrast is the
> software rasterization "dri" which implies that you don't have any hardware
> rasterization capability.
>
> What graphics hardware is this running on? Run "pciconf -lv" and find the
> item(s) in "class = DISPLAY".

As of now the onboard graphics controller of the i7-3770K CPU
is outputting to an HP Compaq LA2405x monitor.I did purchase an
ASUS Radeon HD 7770 graphics card but it's currently uninstalled
as the first OS I had was FreeBSD 9.2/i386 (subscription CDs turn
out to be only i386 which became an issue when I got this 64-bit CPU)
which didn't support it and 10.0/amd64 has only been installed since.

(I never had great graphical ambitions for this machine,and was
upgrading from a Pentium 4 with ITS onboard graphics).

> Can you look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see what driver is actually
> being used?

What I see in there now mentions built-in defaults (I did no active
configuring,waiting on getting the card (and full xorg) installed).
My logs from before the latest hal crash (rendering fvwm useless as
it won't see input...and hal won't reinstall) have been overwritten.

> I suspect you may need either the
> nvidia driver or NEW_XORG, but I am not at all sure.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
> E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com

-=-=-