Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:36:53 -0500
From:      "Chris M. Costello" <chris@holly.dyndns.org>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999, John Birrell wrote:
> I'm working on an application that is targeted at users who, based on
> their exposure to a certain commercial OS, expect to be able to point
> and clip their way through life, and to recognise things by little
> pictures. There are a few things that I'd like to add to FreeBSD to
> support this sort of application. The first is to build icon pixmaps
> into each executable program.
>=20
> Now that we've made the transition to ELF, adding an XPM formatted pixmap
> to a program is simply a matter of:
>=20
> objcopy --add-section=3D.icon=3Dfile.xpm file
>=20
> I could just keep this in my local tree, but that would mean that I have
> to build my own distribution and that 3rd-party vendor software won't
> contain icons (like it would if built for Windows). I'm hoping that
> there is sufficient interest to convince those people who will no doubt
> be horrified by doing such a think to a UNIX operating system. (Some of
> those people don't read this list, but that's another problem).

   I don't see why this can't be a port instead, if the '.icon'
section is optional and can be added by a user process instead of
the linker.

> --=20
> John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com=
.au/
> CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353=
 137
>=20
>=20
>=20

--=20
Chris Costello                                <chris@calldei.com>
Logic is neither an art or a science but a dodge.

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw--