Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 11:12:41 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        fredrik@speechcraft.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The desktop apathy

From: Fredrik Olausson <fredrik@speechcraft.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 12:08:32 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

> However, Apple isn't really a part of the open-source community, and it is

Really?  I know a lot of Darwin / OpenPlay / NetSprocket / CDSA folks
who would vehemently disagree with you there!  See publicsource.apple.com
and also the Apple Public Source License (APSL).

> the attitude in the community that I'm concerned about. There is a general
> atmosphere of resignation (call it "consolidation" if you will). I might

Well, experience typically shows that the only time people start
feeling "resigned" about not capturing a market segment is when they
have not, in fact, captured it and there don't seem to be very many
people doing anything about it.  At that point, you have two groups of
people emerge: Those who wring their hands about the fact that
nobody's doing anything about it and those who actually pitch in and
start doing something about it.

The KDE and Gnome projects were started by the latter sorts of people
and, as far as I can see, the former group are like a garnish -
they're highly visible but they don't actually affect the outcome of
things either way.  Without people actually diving in and addressing
the issues in a far more tangible way, you just get a lot of anguished
handwaving for months and months but nothing else.  Which category
do you fall into? :-)

- Jordan