Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 11:21:30 +0000 (CUT)
From:      ryan@genius.tisl.soft.net
To:        FreeBSD Technical Questions <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Shared Libraries

     I have a peculiar problem(NOT RELATED TO FREEBSD).
Hope you will be able to help me nevertheless!.

Our product has many shared libraries and we are required to provide a
cobol front end to it (ie., API). But the cobol compiler(MFCOBOL) which
our clients have does not link with shared libraries (Our platform is
SunOS 4.1.x, running on sparc 20 [sun 4m]).

    Therefore my plan is to write a cobol stub library(static) which will
load the required shared libs and after getting the fn. address call the
function using fn. pointers. But the problem is dlopen,dlcose & dlsym,
which are the required fns. to load, unload and get fn addresses in SunOS
4.1.x, are themselves present in a shared library!. Therefore I am still
unable to resolve my problem.

   Do you know of any solutions to this problem?. Or, do you know of any
public-domain software to help me out. If nothing else, can you tell me
how I could load a shared library and resolve function addresses?

   Thanks in advance (PLEASE HELP)

Ryan
(ryan@genius.tisl.soft.net)