Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:59:10 +0000
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, chris@netmonger.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Guess we've lost the server market too...?

On Thu 1999-03-04 (23:44), Brett Glass wrote:
> >The two party system is a macroscopic artifact of the electoral
> >college, which was invented in the days when you couldn't have
> >general elections because of communications and trust issues
> >which are no longer relevent.
>
> If that's so, please explain why two-party systems dominate in
> every democracy without a coalition government.

Certainly not here (Democratic Party, (New) National Party, African National
Congress, Inkhata Freedom Party, Pan Africanist Congress, and tons of
others), and increasingly not so in Britain, I think, although my stats are
nearly a year out of date.

Of course one can always blame the two-party system (Republican/Democrat and
Liberal/Conservative) on the insane fear of the evil red bastards taking
over our country and destroying freedom whilst educating all our children and
making sure noone starves. (Humour tags are hereby inserted for those without
the ability to differentiate, and yes, I do think we can make easy
comparisons to the current context)

This is not to say that I think that we should sit back and enjoy being "one
of the many", since as described above (in South Africa), you start to have
"one of the too many".

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner