Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2017 15:38:04 -0500
From:      Viktor Dukhovni <freebsd@dukhovni.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: chroot implementation of bind and kea

> On Nov 13, 2017, at 3:14 PM, Dries Michiels <driesmp@hotmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> At the moment BINDS=E2=80=99s default chroot behavior is to move all =
necessary files to a directory specified in rc.conf as named_chrootdir.
> Afterwards the RC script creates a symlink from /usr/local/etc/namedb/ =
to the named_chrootdir so that config files etc can still be modified =
from /usr/local/etc/ as that is where they belong.
> However, I find the chroot implementation of isc-dhcpd better. That =
is, instead of creating a symlink, copying the files over each time the =
program is (re)started.
> This has the additional benefit that if files in the chroot are =
compromised they get overwritten by the originals on service restart. =
Could this be implemented for BIND as well?
> Another little question regarding chroot, is it possible to make =
net/kea chrootable? There are currently no such options in the kea rc =
script.

One detail to keep in mind is that validating nameservers need to be
able to make persistent updates to the root zone trust-anchor keys
in accordance RFC 5011.  The root KSK will be updated some time next
year and ideally periodically there-after.  So at least the root
zone trust-anchor keys need to persist across restarts and not
be reset to their initial state.

--=20
	Viktor.