Date:      Wed, 07 Apr 1999 01:00:13 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Aldrin L <aldrin@americasnet.com>, "Paul D. Schmidt" <pds@uberhacker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/passwd limits

At 12:57 AM 4/7/99 , Aldrin L wrote:
>On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Paul D. Schmidt wrote:
>
>> thanks :)
>
>	Just a small mistake: FreeBSD, among other unixen, tries to limit
>the userid to 8 chars. I don't know where this restriction came from, but
>i think you should obey.

The 8 character limit is only in pre-3.x FreeBSDs. 3.x and above default to
16-character limits on usernames. It's possible to change this to 24 or
something higher by modifying a few header files (this was discussed in
-questions or -stable a few weeks ago).

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com ) ICQ UIN: 692441