Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:29:24 +0200
From:      Thomas Uhrfelt <thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se>
To:        "'Thomas Seidmann'" <tseidmann@simultan.ch>
Cc:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SV: steps in networking

> Thomas Uhrfelt wrote:
> >
> > Is there anyone out there that could write up a little "manual" of the
> > different steps on what to do/edit to accomplish the below description
> > using FreeBSD + ipfw + NAT or FreeBSD + IPF + IPNAT..
> >
> > INTERNAL (192.168.1.xx) ------ (192.168.1.1)FreeBSD box(192.168.2.2)
> > -------- (192.168.2.1)Congo Router(Dynamic IP)-------Internet
> [stuff deleted]
>
> I'm afraid you cannot handle this case with neither NAT variant
> mentioned above, since you need a public IP address on the machine doing
> the actual NAT. So you have basically two possibilities:
> 1. Perform NAT on the router itself, provided it can (I guess it
> doesn't)
> 2. Connect the FreeBSD box directly to the Internet, i.e. replace the
> router with it  - that's what I'm doing at our site (medium business).
> Depending on the interface your router has to connect to your ISP you
> may need to obtain a sychronous communication adapter - we are using
> SDLComm's N2, i.e. the FreeBSD 'sr' device.

I am totally new to the basics of Unix networking, but as we today have a
network that is like:

192.168.1.xxx ----- 192.168.1.1 [ router ] ----> dynamic IP towards
Internet

How should I best configure a FreeBSD box to handle the packetfiltering and
where should I put it into the chain. I can't replace the router as our
supplier have special software installed to handle the ISDN connection. But
as it works today with this configuration shouldnt the router already
handle some form of NAT? I need all the help I can get

Regards,

Thomas