Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:53:40 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@seattleFenix.net>, Ivan Streetovich <bad_dot_c@yahoo.com>, chat@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: From: Ivan Streetovich, Japan

* Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com> [020902 17:06] wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Benjamin Krueger wrote:
>
> > Interesting. I recieved a copy on Thursday night PST and forwarded it to phk
> > and the security officer in the wee morning hours of Friday...
> >
> > I've heard rumour that it was culled from an (years) old post on a freebsd
> > list.
> >
> > --
> > Benjamin Krueger
>
> This is just another local mbuf exhaustion attack.  We should probably put
> in countermeasures for this one of these days, but it's not all that much
> of a serious problem.  If you have a shell machine you wish to get your
> access revoked on, then by all means go ahead and use this program.

I think the 'sbsize' ulimit already protects people from this.

I think the problem is that it's not set by default, however I think
that's somewhat of a good thing as it makes sure we don't bomb out
when someone tries to bench us.

Perhaps an additional setting from adduser to set the login class
in a more interactive manner should be done, something like:

  Please select a login class for the user's defaults and limits:
  1) user
  2) foo
  3) daemon
  1
  You have selected login class 'user' which has the following settings:
  ok? (y/n)

I might get to it one day, but I'm pretty busy atm.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org] [#bsdcode/efnet/irc.prison.net]