Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 01:26:17 -0500
From:      David Banning <david@skytracker.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xhost command problem

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 11:16:52AM -0800, Nathan Kinkade wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 01:05:45PM -0500, David Banning wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to run an xterm remotely (over the web).
> >
> > I understand the IP address must be entered using the xhost command.
> >
> > My problem is that the xhost command wants X running on the main terminal,
> > but main terminal is using an ascii screen only.
> > The xhost command gives an error stating that the command
> > must be run from X on the main terminal.
> >
> > Is there another way I can maybe bypass the xhost command and
> > register the IP address in the same place that xhost does?
>
> What is the exact error you are getting?  If you are working from a
> console, make sure that your DISPLAY environment variable is set, and
> that you export it.
>
> Assuming X is running on display 0 try (and that you are using bash):
> # export DISPLAY=:0
> # xhost +the.ip.address.or.hostname

The exact error is;

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2

which is the same error you get if you try and fire up X and the
DISPLAY variable is wrong or X is configured wrong.
My DISPLAY=:0.0
I also tried DISPLAY=:0

It is trying to fire up X I guess, but as I mentioned, I don't have
graphics running on my main box. The main box -is- hosting X for
windows desktops on the local network which use x-win32, so it
-should- be feasable to do what I want over the internet if it is
aleady working over the local network.

It seems to be just a permission thing that I have to overcome.