Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 2021 00:07:48 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        "Youssef  GHORBAL" <youssef.ghorbal@pasteur.fr>, Jason Breitman <jbreitman@tildenparkcapital.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "tuexen@FreeBSD.org" <tuexen@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NFS Mount Hangs
References:  <C643BB9C-6B61-4DAC-8CF9-CE04EA7292D0@tildenparkcapital.com> <3750001D-3F1C-4D9A-A9D9-98BCA6CA65A4@tildenparkcapital.com> <33693DE3-7FF8-4FAB-9A75-75576B88A566@tildenparkcapital.com> <D67AF317-D238-4EC0-8C7F-22D54AD5144C@pasteur.fr> <YQXPR0101MB09684AB7BEFA911213604467DD669@YQXPR0101MB0968.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM> <C87066D3-BBF1-44E1-8398-E4EB6903B0F2@tildenparkcapital.com>, <8E745920-1092-4312-B251-B49D11FE8028@pasteur.fr>

I hope you don't mind a top post...=0A=
I've been testing network partitioning between the only Linux client=0A=
I have (5.2 kernel) and a FreeBSD server with the xprtdied.patch=0A=
(does soshutdown(..SHUT_WR) when it knows the socket is broken)=0A=
applied to it.=0A=
=0A=
I'm not enough of a TCP guy to know if this is useful, but here's what=0A=
I see...=0A=
=0A=
While partitioned:=0A=
On the FreeBSD server end, the socket either goes to CLOSED during=0A=
the network partition or stays ESTABLISHED.=0A=
On the Linux end, the socket seems to remain ESTABLISHED for a=0A=
little while, and then disappears.=0A=
=0A=
After unpartitioning:=0A=
On the FreeBSD server end, you get another socket showing up at=0A=
the same port#=0A=
Active Internet connections (including servers)=0A=
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)  =
  =0A=
tcp4       0      0 nfsv4-new3.nfsd        nfsv4-linux.678        ESTABLISH=
ED=0A=
tcp4       0      0 nfsv4-new3.nfsd        nfsv4-linux.678        CLOSED   =
  =0A=
=0A=
The Linux client shows the same connection ESTABLISHED.=0A=
(The mount sometimes reports an error. I haven't looked at packet=0A=
 traces to see if it retries RPCs or why the errors occur.)=0A=
--> However I never get hangs.=0A=
Sometimes it goes to SYN_SENT for a while and the FreeBSD server=0A=
shows FIN_WAIT_1, but then both ends go to ESTABLISHED and the=0A=
mount starts working again.=0A=
=0A=
The most obvious thing is that the Linux client always keeps using=0A=
the same port#. (The FreeBSD client will use a different port# when=0A=
it does a TCP reconnect after no response from the NFS server for=0A=
a little while.)=0A=
=0A=
What do those TCP conversant think?=0A=
=0A=
rick=0A=
ps: I can capture packets while doing this, if anyone has a use=0A=
      for them.=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=