Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 02:18:13 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Gerard Samuel <gsam@trini0.org>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help debugging printing

At 1:50 PM -0400 10/6/02, Gerard Samuel wrote:
>I setup and installed a printer yesterday, and installed LPRng and
>apsfilter from ports (fresh cvsup), and had apsfilter print out that
>funky test page. In continuing the setup the box, I am trying to
>print a file, and getting these results ->
>----------------
>hivemind# lpr lprng.sh
>lpr: Unable to connect to /var/run/printer: No such file or directory
>lpr: Check to see if the master 'lpd' process is running.
>jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

This probably means you are executing the version of 'lpr' which is
in the base system, which is not the version from lprNG.  You would
want to get the version in /usr/local/bin/lpr.

>-----------------
>The lpd daemon is running.
>hivemind# ps aux | grep lpd
>daemon   530  0.0  0.3  1476 1096  ??  Is    1:07PM   0:00.00 lpd:
>lpd Waiting (lpd)

I expect this is the version of lpd that comes with lprNG (which,
of course, is what you wanted).  The base-system lpr will not work
with it.

>I ran LPRng's checkpc utility and got this ->
>hivemind# checkpc
>Warning - lp: cannot open lp device '/dev/ulpt0' - Permission denied
>
>I know for a fact that /dev/ulpt0 exists, so I deleted it and
>created it again.
>hivemind# rm ulpt0 && ./MAKEDEV ulpt0 && ls -al ulpt0
>crw-------  1 root  wheel  113,   0 Oct  6 13:46 ulpt0
>
>Does anyone know where my problem may be??

This part is all lprNG specific, so I have no idea what you need to do.