Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2012 11:10:19 +0200
From:      Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FBSD Doc project <doc@freebsd.org>, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFC: future directions of the documentation after the XML migration

Hi,

it seems the migration went more or less fine, the known problems have
been fixed. However, this is just the first step of the cleanup and
modernization of the doc infrastructure. The next thing I would like to
accomplish is renaming the files to .xml. For this, it would also be
practical to first clean up the very obsoleted pieces of docs that we
have. It is long overdue anyway and it would reduce the number of files
to rename. Besides, these contain outdated info, which is misleading for
users and just increase the build time. A similar list has been already
proposed by linimon@ but somehow we didn't go on to actually clean it
up. So I'd like to remove the following and all of their translations:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/5-roadmap/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/checkpoint/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/dialup-firewall/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/diskless-x/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/euro/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/formatting-media/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/storage-devices/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/version-guide/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/vinum/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/zip-drive/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/hats/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/multi-os/
http://www.freebsd.org/java/dists/
http://www.freebsd.org/kse/
http://www.freebsd.org/smp/
http://www.freebsd.org/y2kbug.html

Some of these are totally obsolete because of the topic, others could be
updated but they are that outdated that it would be easier to create
something from scratch. Please take it into account when raising an
objection.

After the clean up is done and files are renamed, I could start work on
the migration of stylesheets.

Thanks,
Gabor