Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 2020 13:19:11 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Walter von Entferndt <walter.von.entferndt@posteo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: after latest patches i386 not fully patched

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 at 10:04, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 at 03:42, Walter von Entferndt
> <walter.von.entferndt@posteo.net> wrote:
> >
> > At Sonntag, 20. September 2020, 14:00:00 CEST, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
> > wrote:
> > > Until pkgbase is in place the most straightforward way to address this
> > > issue will probably be for us to ship a new kernel even if not
> > > necessary, just to update the version number.
> > -1 from all with limited bandwith and/or volume.
> > Updates should be as small as possible.
>
> The updates are delivered as binary patches (bspatch); a patch to
> change the kernel version is probably less data than this email.

Colin pointed out on IRC that there's a caveat to this: bspatch
allocates enough memory to store the entire original file, and the
entire modified file, and performs all of the patching operations in
memory. This might fail on extremely memory-constrained systems, with
freebsd-update then falling back to fetching the full file. However,
this is an implementation detail, not a fundamental aspect of the
bsdiff/bspatch format. I believe it should be possible for bspatch to
operate in a (perhaps slower) reduced memory mode, if it turns out
this is a significant issue in practice.