Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 09:06:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2-stable, panic #12

Nate Williams writes:
| I know of *NO* programmer who does not delight in completely ripping out
| and replacing existing code with code that he has written from scratch.
| It's great fun, and it allows the person to feel better about the
| system, themselves, and make sure that they can debug the existing code
| better.  I do it all the time.  But, I know for a fact that it's rarely

I guess you don't really know me.  I've always taken great pleasure in
fixing other peoples code.  That is, examine their code and style, figure
out their concepts and then guess at mistakes in their concept.  Code is
just an implementation of concepts with a style.  This is how I developed
my bag of tricks and learnt from others.

I also like code without coments, it forces me to understand the actual
written code and derive the concept from it vs. assuming the concept that
has been described.  Comments for me are to describe "black magic" ie.
bizare side-effect/hardware bugs.

A fun challenge was porting clisp to the Alpha, it had German variable and
comments and did some really made some interesting assumptions on pointers.
The only thing in English was the 'C' language.  It was a lot of fun and I
learnt a lot.

Now the challenge is anticipate errors by looking at the least amount of
code by picking up the style and concepts.  Sure I make mistakes but that's
how I get better and learn.

Okay, I'll admit I'm a bit strange atleast my wife agress with that, now
my daughter we'll see.

Doug (hates looking at a blank editor saying where to start) A.