Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 13:41:44 +0200
From:      Tobias.Stoetter@viaginterkom.de
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dynamic IP

Hi,

i have some problems with the dynamic IP address assignment of my ISP. I am
quite new to FreeBSD so please forgive me if i am asking stupid questions.

I configured my Teles 16.3 as discribed in the i4b manual and up to this point i
 solved all my problems by reading the manual and the news archive, but ...

I used the script of the i4b manual to configure the isp0 interface:
>#!/bin/sh
>echo "configuring I4BISDN/PPP-interface isp0:"
>echo ""
>echo "removing previous configuration"
>ifconfig isp0 delete -link1 down
>echo ""
>echo "setting PPP options"
>spppcontrol isp0 myauthproto=chap
>spppcontrol isp0 myauthname=asonline
>spppcontrol isp0 myauthsecret=asonline
>echo ""
>echo "configuring IP src/dst address, netmask and link flags"
>ifconfig isp0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff link1
>echo ""
>echo "finished"

Now i execute the script and a #ifconfig isp0 shows me:
>isp0: flags=2911<UP,POINTOPOINT,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,LINK1> mtu 1500
>inet 0.0.0.0 -> 0.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff

But, a telnet only leads to a:
>No route to host

Running the script above again causes (funnily) a connection to my ISP and a
#ifconfig isp0 shows me:
isp0: flags=2951<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,LINK1> mtu 1500
inet 195.127.250.96 -> 0.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff

But again: no route to host!
As i understand so far, my ISP assigns me my (temporary) IP address
(195.127.250.96) but his IP is not reassigned (still 0.0.0.1).
I read all ppp, sppp, routing, etc. man pages but i have not found a hint why
this does not work with i4b (with Linux it works fine).

I hope someone can explain me what i am doing wrong.

Best regards
Tobias