Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 22:39:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, john_wilson100@excite.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HPT370 RAID or Vinum?

It seems Mike Smith wrote:
> > > These "cheap controllers" don't have any algorithms at all to speak of;
> > > they're just ATA controllers with BIOS code that supposedly understands
> > > striping/mirroring.
> >
> > There is no algorithm to speak of involved with striping, and just
> > a little more in mirroring in the error case, but anyways..
>
> Unless you've fixed it, the error case handling in mirror mode is busted
> as well.

I know, too little time...

> > > The "algorithms" are in the 'ar' driver, which should really just be a
> > > vinum shim.
> >
> > Well, the way vinum is implemented that wont work unfortunately.
>
> There's no reason that 'ar' and Vinum couldn't be fixed to play together.
>
> Or at least, no technical reason.

Might be, but it involves some pretty radical changes to the way vinum
stores its config info on the disks, and I have not had the time nor
energy to fight those through. Another thing is how to setup/config
those RAID's, the info put on the disks *must* be exactly what the
BIOS's wants, or they wont pick up an array. So its not as simple
as to just "fix" vinum and ar, its goes far beyond that...
But I'll say this much, if you find sponsors for the time, I'll
happily make this work they way it should :)

-Søren