Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:59:13 +0000
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -STABLE was stable for long time (Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?)

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 03:22:59AM +0100, Thomas Seck wrote:
> * Ceri Davies (setantae@submonkey.net):
> > On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:02:55AM +0100, Thomas Seck wrote:
> >>
> >> Basically, you want others to do the developing, testing and patching
> >> and keep the complaining part for yourself.
> >
> > Umm, there aren't any patches for Marc to apply.
> > If there were, then this whole discussion wouldn't even be here (because he
> > wouldn't be having problems with -stable in the first place).
> >
> > I also find people telling Marc that he should do some development, or acting
> > as though he is somewhat lacking in clue, is rather amusing.
>
> Always happy to serve. But please read my mail Marc had replied to -
> especially the part not quoted in his reply to get my meaning. If I were
> in Marc's position I would run -RELEASE and generate patches for new
> features and bugfixes myself from -STABLE after review and test.

I think Marc's point is that even if he had tested this in a test environment:

1) This isn't definitely going to find anything like his production environment
   will;

2) The bugs found would still go unfixed, as he can't find anybody to fix them.

Also, to those suggesting that Marc should be running -RELEASE anyway, consider
that bugs found in a -RELEASE typically have even less chance of getting fixed
than bugs found in -STABLE (because only "critical" bugfixes are allowed).

Ceri
--
Youi cowardice shall be your demise!