Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 21:19:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        "Vasily V. Grechishnikov" <bazilio@economic.acnit.ac.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: UFS -it is slow filesystem update?

On 28-Apr-97 at 13:58:41 Vasily V. Grechishnikov wrote:
>                       Hi !
>       My midnight commander has been extracted big tar.gz archive using
>        /var/tmp as a temporary space ,
>       and at middle of that process I got the kernle message :
>       /kernel file sytem full( /var has size of 30M, but result of extract
>       about of 40M ). I ran df and it reports: /var Capacity -10 % .
>       I remove temporary file, and expects than /var filesystem is move
>       to stable state. But about of 5 minutes any writes to /var filesystem
>       fails with /kernel /var file system full. Why?
>        I using asynchronous mounts.

Hmm... This might be the problem. Try a
        mount -uo sync /whatever
and see if that will put it right. Does df report free capacity after you
delete the tmp file?
I suggest you move your /var file system to /usr/var: You can keep things
compatible by using a symlink "ln -s /usr/var /var" after moving /var to
/usr/var.

c u Jo

>Thanks , Vasily .
>
>        ******[FreeBSD it is coolest UNIX for PC!]*******
>        * System admin , ftp and web master.            *
>        * Home Page: http://www.econ.acnit.ac.ru/       *
>        * Industrial Economy Departament                *
>        * Voronezh State Technical University           *

                       For a world of pedigree OSs
FreeBSD - top breeders recommend it            <http://www.freebsd.org>;
Joachim Kuebart                                      <joa@delos.lf.net>
Tel: +49 711 653706                          <joa@stuttgart.netsurf.de>