Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:49:20 -0800
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        danny@ricin.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Failure At Build (?) Stage When Making Ports?

Danny Pansters told a big fish story including the following on
03/11/2004 4:14 PM:

>On Thursday 11 March 2004 20:52, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to do things the "smart" way.  I have two machines running
>>4.9.  Instead of keeping a ports collection on both,  I have and update
>>the collection on one named blacklamb.  Blacklamb runs Samba 2.2.8a_1.
>>I created a samba share called "ports" and pointed it to /usr/ports.  I
>>then used smbfs to mount "ports" on blacksheep (the other machine) at
>>/usr/ports.  Here's the relevant portion of /etc/fstab from blacksheep:
>>
>>blacksheep> cat /etc/fstab
>># Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
>>Pass#
>>//<account>@blacklamb/ports /usr/ports smbfs rw,noauto             0
>>0
>>
>>On both machines, I edited /etc/make.conf to set "WRKDIRPREFIX=/var/tmp"
>>so each would use it's own disk space when making ports.
>>
>>Ports build without error on blacklamb, the machine that has the ports
>>tree locally but when building on blacksheep, they always fail.  I've
>>read the Porter's Handbook to see what I could figure out.  I think
>>blacksheep is failing at the actual "build" stage.  I posted a complete
>>build log of an attempt to build the bacula client at
>>http://drew.mykitchentable.net/Temp/blacksheep_bacula.txt.
>>
>>All attempts to build ports on blacksheep fail at this same point.  I
>>have no idea what to check next so any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>Looking at the output I noticed it was
>in /usr/var/tmp/usr/ports/theport/workdir/and/all/that.
>
>Was that the intention? Or is there some symlink /usr/var to /var, considering
>the WRKDIRPREFIX. Since the 'depend' step seems to work fine, your method in
>itself can't be wrong. Maybe you need to use hard links for some reason that
>I can't quite grasp (yet)...

I set my system up with a 100MB / and the rest as /usr.  So yes, tmp is
symlinked to /var/tmp and usr is symlinked to /usr/var.

>If you're doing something with symlinks, I'd look there first for an
>explanation why the build fails. It says 'can't read makefile'. You should be
>able to find out which one that is (have it build locally without cleaning).

However, the machine that has the ports tree install locally (blacklamb)
is setup the same way.  A smaller root partition and the rest as /usr
with symlinks.  Ports build OK on blacklamb using both make and portupgrade.

>Amplify this if you also have a symlink /tmp to /var/tmp (consider scripts
>using '../..' in paths etc). Does the same thing occur without using
>portupgrade (which certainly uses /tmp), e.g. just make?

Problem on blacksheep occurs with both make and portupgrade.

I'm going out of town for the weekend but will experiment when I
return.  Maybe in the meantime someone can either confirm or deny your
suspicions.  :)

Thanks for your help!!!

Drew