Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 23:50:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Chris Peiffer <chris@redlinenetworks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PXE/DHCP/tftpd boot failure in FBSD 4.4-STABLE since yesterday!! Please Help!

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Chris Peiffer wrote:

For testing purposes, I switched the sources back to the 20th October,
I know that this codestage definitely worked! I recompiled a 'make world',
all the terminal related stuff, new kernels and installed them, then I
rebooted. After reboot I recompiled the dhcp code from the ports, with the
same effect: nothing has changed, the stations still fail to boot. I think this is
a problem with our LAN and the maintanace of the computer center.

Now is the essentiell question: how to figure out what's going wrong?
I need to examine what the DHCP recieves and delivers and I need to
know what type of packets are exchanged between the DHCP server,
its client and what happens when the client has recieved its dhcp
config info and trys to get pxeboot image. How can I watch whether the
diskless client gets its pxeboot image? Well, I would like to know
some details about the protocol. The reason is, that the guys of our computer
center tend to push away responsibilty and I would like to avoid having
all the trouble I did not produce carrying on my shoulders ...

Thanks ...