Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 07:29:56 -0700
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@theinternet.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for comments on a new utility...

* Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net> escriurères

> On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 06:46:13 MST, Juli Mallett wrote:
>
> > > Piping commands through other commands seems icky?
> >
> > Relying on reasonable output from ps(1) seems icky when you can extract the
> > data yourself and not have to worry about formatting getting in the way of
> > processing data properly.
>
> I don't think you should worry too much about _not_ getting reasonable
> output from POSIX-conformant utilities. :-)

I'd read SUS's ps(1) escription a little closer.  Very few guarantees with it.

> I didn't want to be the one to break the "pstree exists" news, because I
> know how frustrating it is to discover that you've just engineered a
> solution to a solved problem, but it's an unfortunate fact of life.  I
> was very annoyed when I realized that my waitpid(1) program that I was
> so proud of already existed in several incarnations. :-)

It's fine :)

> Still, you can be proud of the work you've done.  You could even get it
> into the ports tree.  It's always nice to have choices.

That's something to think about :)   Thanks.
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>                  FreeBSD: The Power To Serve
Perception is prejudice / Don't classify me / Accept me as me / Not what you see