Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 08:01:12 -0800
From:      "Edward W. M." <edward_wm@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   POP3 / IMAP security

Hi everyone,

I apologize in advance if you feel that I should have posted
this to questions.

I intend to run POP and IMAP services on a new machine, so I
need easily deployable secure servers that can be installed from
the ports.

Cyrus is out of the question for me, I am running that on another
box and I just need something more easily deployable for this one.
All my users have shell access and log in via ssh, so the bugs
in the UW imap server are not that relevant, but still, that is
one bug-ridden piece of software and I think it's just a matter
of time before another security related bug is discovered. The
same goes for popper and as I do not have the time to do the
research, I hope to hear from experienced admins out there who have
done the research (tee hee :-)) and are willing to share their
knowledge and experience.

Once I install the pop / imap servers I will allow access to pop and
imap from localhost only, allowing users to tunnel to pop / imap
through ssh. That takes care of the major threat, but still, there
are a few local users that pose a potential threat, so I need proven,
secure and easily deployable solutions.

Thank you,
Edward W. M.