Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 01:47:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        rpj@fep.hirshfields.com (Roger P. Johnson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.3R/3.4R: can't make it to sysinstall from boot floppies for system install ...

Roger P. Johnson wrote,
> Hi,
>
> I have both the Walnut Creek CD-ROM FreeBSD 3.3 and FreeBSD 3.4 Release.
> I am unable to get to the sysinstall program to install FreeBSD when
> booting for either fresh install or upgrade. I don't get that far.
>
> Here's how I made my boot floppies from CD-ROM for both releases:
>
>    dd if=kern.flp of=/dev/rsd0
>    dd if=mfsroot.flp of=/dev/rsd0
                               ^^^^
I assume that's a typo for /dev/rfd0. Or do you have that rarest of
breeds, a SCSI 1.44M drive.

[snip]

Were the disks "factoru formatted?" Don't trust factory formatting for
boot disks. Reformat the disks then re-write the boot floppy images
and give it another go.

If you formatted them yourself... *shrug*