Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 1995 18:15:48 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org, nate@rocky.sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: Mis-feature in -current

>This one was a strange one, but I finally figured it out.  I'm trying to
>build kernels which contain all of the necessary 'debug' symbols in
>them, so I'm not compiling the code with '-O'.

Kernels compiled with any level of optimization (and -g) should contain
all the necessary debug symbols.

>However, I've noticed that if you don't compile the code with '-O', gcc
>no longer optimizes out the calls to strlen.  What this means is that
>the kernel will no longer link if you compile any modules which uses
>strlen().

I found another interesting case related to this.  ipx_input() uses an
inefficient auto initializer for ipx_ipx.  gcc-2.7.0 makes a static copy
of the initial data and copies it to the variable a word at a time, but
gcc-2.7.2 pessimizes the initialization to two assignments and a memset
call.  Linking fails because memset isn't in the library.

Bruce