Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 17:31:42 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD current users <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Very important bug..

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Well to all 2 of you that would ever considering running
> FreeBSD 1.1 binaries on -current anyhow...
>
> Everything goes along great until you hit a pid > 32768
> then everything stops
>
> apparently the code in libc in FreeBSD1.1  assumes that pids are < 32k
> and CHECKS it.. :-)

[It was a sign extension bug.  There are also some sign exension bugs
at the 2^32 boundary.  E.g., olseek() silently truncates large offsets
mod 2^32.]

> My aim was to time a "make world" in a 1.1 jail under -current with
> a modern machine. (just to see how much slower we've made everything)
>
> so Everything was screaming past at a very fast rate until:

I guess it would be about twice as slow.  Others made gcc a little more
than twice as slow and we can only add a little to that, especially with
only userland differences.

Bruce