Date:      Mon, 02 Aug 2004 13:26:03 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.2-CURRENT + Xorg hangs with Matrox G400 dual-head board

I've got a Matrox G400 dual-head board in an AGP slot on a 5-year old
machine.  It seemed to be working fine with an earlier 5.x built from
CVS, using the XFree86 version of X11 for the past few months and it
seemed fine.

Last week, I CVSupped and rebuilt the OS and kernel, and switched over
to Xorg.  Since then, the system has locked up hard, several times a
day, always associated with an X11 event -- like a window popping to
the top.  The system hangs totally, no mouse, no CTL-ALT-F1, won't
even respond to a ping.

I have to reboot it.  Actually, I have to power-cycle it, otherwise
when it boots and I say "startx" or "xdm", the screen will blank and
it will hang again.  Power-cycling seems to clear this.

In either case, there's nothing logged -- not that I've found.  After
power-cycle, sometimes the BIOS menu pops up and says something about
about the system hanging due to CPU or Memory speed problems and that
it's set these to default conservative values, or something. But it
doesn't help anyway: it still hangs minutes/hours later when some
graphics event occurs.

I've had to replace my beloved dual head with an old PCI card I had
lying around cuz I couldn't do anything.  It hasn't hung at all. Any
suggestions on how I could track this down?  Thanks.

FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #2: Tue Jul 27 11:20:47 EDT 2004
    root@PECTOPAH.shenton.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PECTOPAH
WARNING: WITNESS option enabled, expect reduced performance.
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor (908.09-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x642  Stepping = 2
  Features=0x183f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PA
T,PSE36,MMX,FXSR>
  AMD Features=0xc0440000<RSVD,AMIE,DSP,3DNow!>
real memory  = 268353536 (255 MB)
avail memory = 252944384 (241 MB)

agp0: <VIA 82C8363 (Apollo KT133A) host to PCI bridge> mem 0xe4000000-0xe7ffffff
 at device 0.0 on pci0