Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 2012 16:08:41 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   fixit disc for 7.3 #1?

guys,

is there still a  way of fixing something i did to my existing
installation?  it does nothing but continually cycle e and try to
reboot into the old release i had from feb 2011.  i thought editing
out /etc/fstab would do it.  but nope, it throws me into the lowest
level manual config and then hangs.  i cannot even install release 9.0
which is the only other path.  either some stable distro of debian,
or getting past release8 and going to   9.

first, tho, i need to get rid of this [[messed up]] 7.3.

let me share a story from when i was visiting a favorite cousin who
put up about half of NASA's huge antennas.  long retired, he lives
out where not even god could find him.  he wanted to see proof of my
beloved freebsd.  so, using a new set of discs that i bought, i
started the installation.  { FWIW, --this was in july, 2000.  }  I
happened to mention that freebsd had trouble configuring the
printers.  or that   that could get hairy.  he stopped what he was
doing and asked me to get back to his windows toys and games.  i had
a floppy w ith the mystery file "MBR" that removed that single file.

my hunch is that since i never mess with anything but freebsd, i
left it configure itself by default and that the same thing that
stalled me for ten minutes back in 2000, might be what's stopping
me from installing anything over my 7.3 in 2012.

any wizards how how to fix  this?

gary

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix