Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:34:29 +0000
From:      Matt Dawson <matt@chronos.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: security/openssl BROKEN, DEPRECATED, and EXPIRED?

--nextPart5075257.DCvC4QAO78

On Wednesday 13 Jan 2010 12:00:23 Trix Farrar wrote:

> What happened?  I haven't been able to find any discussion about this
> on either freebsd-ports, freebsd-ports-bugs, or freebsd-security.
> There doesn't seem to be a PR, either.
>=20
> Am I just being overly sensitive or does this present a POLA problem?
> My ports tree is up to date, but OpenSSL can't be upgraded, and
> neither can anything that depends on it. =20

If you have a look at the last commit for Mk/bsd.openssl.mk, you'll see the=
=20
libcrypto versions have been bumped, too. 8.0-RELEASE has 0.9.8k in base,=20
but this .mk looks for libcrypto.so.7 and the version conditional has been=
=20
dropped (not that it would have made any difference set to 800105) so=20
dropping back to the version in the base system is going to be no help=20
either. Even HEAD is still on 0.9.8k (libcrypto.so.6).

http://bit.ly/7h5PpU (CVSweb)

I suspect that there's an update on its way, although that doesn't help the=
=20
rest of us using ports in the meantime. For now, I'd personally recommend=20
to use a date=3D2010.01.12.15.42.00 definition in your ports supfile until=
=20
all of this shakes out.

As for POLA, I can think of nothing more astonishing than finding that my=20
systems cannot, under any circumstances, meet the requirements of=20
bsd.openssl.mk, thus breaking nearly everything important. That sort of=20
snuck up on me without warning...
=2D-=20
Matt Dawson
MTD15-RIPE