Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 1998 23:42:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   APS Filter/JetDirect troubles...

If it ain't one thing, it's another.

First of all, thanks to everyone (particularly Norman Rice) who helped me
get APS Filter compiled and working.  Well... compiled, anyway... working
is still another story.

The printer works just fine if it's hooked up directly to my FreeBSD
machine's parallel port.  However, to throw a wrench in the works a bit, I
hooked up an HP JetDirect EX Plus on my internal network and assigned it
an IP address.  I can print from both of my NT boxes with no problem, and
before upgrading to the latest version of APS Filter, I could print to it
from the FreeBSD machine as well.  The reason I upgraded was so that it
would support my new (well, new to me) HP DeskJet 870.  I had an old HP
DeskJet 520 black & white before.  To make my print jobs go to the
JetDirect box, I made one simple change to the /etc/printcap that APS
Filter's installation generated... the same change I made previous to
upgrading, which was to change this line in each printer definition:

       :lp=/dev/lpt0:\

to:

       :rm=10.0.0.5:\

Where 10.0.0.5 is the IP address of my JetDirect box.  APS Filter created
5 printer definitions:  ASCII mono, Auto mono, ASCII color, Auto color,
and Raw.  If I send a print job to "raw", it comes out, although it loses
any formatting.  If I print to any of the others, I see the JetDirect
activity light blink a few times, and then I get this mailed to me: