Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2012 13:52:00 -0700
From:      Chris Benesch <chris.benesch@gmail.com>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System doesn't detect unplugged network cable and doesn't set interface up properly with DHCP

Thats pretty standard for BSD and most Unixes.  DHCP hands out leases for a
specified period of time, so unless there is a reason to reset it, it
wont.  Windows does that, but it is designed more as a client / user facing
OS whereas BSD is designed to run in the background silently serving you
content and directing traffic.

I can save you some steps though,

ps -ax | grep dhclient

You will get a list, on the one that is dhclient or /sbin/dhclient, take
the number at the far left, thats the process ID

kill <process id>
dhclient re0

That will force it to acquire a new address.