Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 13:23:56 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "Rakesh Prajapati" <rprajapa@sdf.lonestar.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Home Networking question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rakesh Prajapati" <rprajapa@sdf.lonestar.org>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 1:14 PM
Subject: Home Networking question

> Hi ,
>

> BACKGROUND
> ----------
>
> I have a FreeBSD 4.5 REL box with 2 NIC cards and a external 56 K
modem. I
> have set this box as a ROUTER (nat) and also set up  a firewall
(ipfw).

> One NIC card connects to internal LAN , second one to CABLE MODEM BOX.
>
> I am able to connect fine to my internal network (through NIC1) and
also
> the internet  (NIC2).
>
> PROBLEM
> -------
>
> The problem occurs when I dial up to my workplace using 56 K modem. I
am
> then able to connect to my office network through the 56 K modem but
now
> my INTERNET connection dosent work (NIC2). When I disconnect the 56 K
> modem connection the INTERNET connection works fine again.
>

> I think this has something to do with my "DEFAULT ROUTE" or routing
tables
> or something like that (I am throwing some technical jargons ).
>
> How can I solve the above problem? I want both to work at the same
time ,
> if that's possible!!

It should be.  I don't know the exact command or syntax for manipulating
route tables in FBSD (haven't had to do it yet) but you want something
like this.

1.  Your default route should be pointed to NIC2.  If you dial up
changes your route, try and figure out how to disable it if possible.
If not, then write some script to run after dial up to overwrite it's
changes.

2.  Your work subnet(s) need to be setup to go out the dial up
interface.

So 0.0.0.0/0 would have gateway of NIC2 (default).  If you work is
1.2.3.0/24 then you would set it to go out the dial up interface.

HTH a little,

Drew