Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 23:47:47 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Rob Zietlow <zietlow@securepipe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SOLVED! Native PPPoE broken (4.6-STABLE), RP-PPPoE working?!

At 05:21 PM 6/27/2002 -0500, Rob Zietlow wrote:
> >The solution I found was to make sure that its also disabled and not
> >offered in RADIUS either, so you might have to talk to your ISP if they
> >have it configured, as we did.
>
>how exactly do you turn this off?

In my Radius config on the server, got rid of
Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobsen-TCP-IP,

in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf

vjcomp (from the man pages)
              Default: Enabled and Accepted.  This option determines if Van
              Jacobson header compression will be used.
vjcomp disabled

>  Or even find out if it's enabled?

Not sure on FreeBSD, but on my Cisco where all the PPPoE sessions are
terminated as L2TP tunnels, I see
bell-border#show int vi426 confi
Virtual-Access426 is an L2TP link interface

Building configuration...

interface Virtual-Access426 configuration...
mtu 1492
ip unnumbered Loopback0
ip tcp header-compression

before
and after
bell-border#show int vi426 confi
Virtual-Access426 is an L2TP link interface

Building configuration...

interface Virtual-Access426 configuration...
mtu 1492
ip unnumbered Loopback0

In this case, I am not sure where the fault lies... In the Cisco, the ERX
or FreeBSD, or PE.  The ERX initiates the tunnel to the Cisco. At that
point, I would have thought that they would properly negotiate
capabilities... Not sure, but this did indeed solve the problem, and the
ERX according to the article does not support VJ Header compressions.

>PITA# spppcontrol tun0
>spppcontrol: SIOCGIFGENERIC(SPPPIOGDEFS): Invalid argument
>
>I also attempted 'pppstats tun0'
>
>PITA# pppstats tun0
>pppstats: invalid interface 'tun0' specified
>pppstats: couldn't get PPP statistics: Invalid argument

pppstats works for me

cage# pppstats
       IN   PACK VJCOMP  VJUNC  VJERR  |      OUT   PACK VJCOMP  VJUNC NON-VJ
        0      0      0      0      0  |        0      0      0      0      0
cage#

         ---Mike