Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:59:04 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        ahl@austclear.com.au (Tony Landells), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hogwash

avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au said:
> This *is* what they claim to do.

Just because it's what they claim it doesn't mean you have to believe
them.

> Personally, I think their claims are unrealistic and all the hype
> about "software audit" is just that - hype.  If the OpenSSH team are
> working with ISS on a fix then it seems to me that ISS found this
> problem, not the OpenSSH team.  Why did the audit by the OpenSSH team
> miss this problem ?  Isn't this what their code audits are meant to
> find - security bugs ?  What benefit are we *really* getting from
> their "code audits" ?

One would have thought that was a reasonable goal in performing an
audit on a security product.  However, if the exploit is based on
semantic rather than syntactic errors, then it may have snuck through
the audit.

As a legal friend of mine says when someone asks for free advice "this
will be worth exactly what you pay for it..."  I apply the same grain
of salt to free software.

I had the option of performing my own code audit on OpenSSH.  I chose
not to.

I understand that a lot of people are unhappy at the state of play.
Here's a perfect opportunity to choose a different path.  Show your
displeasure by not using the software.

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319