Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:07:19 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   pcm driver delay (4.3-stable)

     Just updated to -stable, and I'm impressed with how much better my
SB32 works with the pcm driver.  No more raspy starts and stops.

     Got a question though.  When I fire up mpg123 to play an mp3, it
pauses for 1 second before it plays the file (it doesn't pause at all with
the snd driver).  Anybody figured this one out?

     ktrace reveals that mpg123 (running with the pcm driver) is stuck in a:

     ioctl( SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT )
     ioctl( SNDCTL_DSP_STEREO )
     ioctl( SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED )
     ...(repeat)...

loop, apparently fighting the sound driver to initialize the playback
settings.  I guess it eventually wins (or gives up), but I'm not sure.  It
plays OK after the delay.

     Any ideas?

Thanks,

Randall