Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 09:35:54 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "Victor Grey" <victor@customdynamic.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kernel: arp messages

> Can anyone explain why I keep getting messages in /var/log/messages
like
> this:
>
> Aug  4 06:10:28 p2 /kernel: arp: 192.168.1.1 is on fxp0 but got reply
from
> 00:04:28:96:44:00 on fxp1

This is leaking in from your Cable/DSL connection. Someone else on your
side of the ISP's router is using the same local network addressing, but
they don't have their gateway configured properly (most likely a Windows
box).

The messages won't affect your network, but if you don't want to see
them, change your network addresses to something a little less common,
such as "192.168.53.x"...

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor