Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 00:57:05 -0500
From:      Erik Greenwald <erik@smluc.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   developer handbooks x86 asm caveats issue

Hi

I was reading through the developer handbook and read something in the
x86 assembly caveats section that makes no sense to me. It talks about
unix being an abstraction, but once it hits the paragraph that starts
with "But there is more!" it goes off on a tangent that I don't believe
is correct. It starts talking about direct access to the hw being bad
for input and output because the connected terminal may not be a PC and
may not have the video memory where it's expected, nor the PC keyboard
scancodes... All communication between the machines is done in
'character' fashion using a socket, there is no hw access between the
two. If you have the permissions and hijack the display hw when
telnetted in, it won't cause weird issues because you're using a mac, it
will simply display on the hardware that the program itself is running
on... so the program will use the video card in the server, not the
client. Even if the server and the client are both x86 boxen, a direct
hijack of hardware should still merely use the servers display and input
facilities and not the telnet (or ssh or rsh or ...) connection.

--
        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~erik]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all probability,
they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore may result in
severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep Refrigerated.