Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 2004 23:45:44 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        -=b00tsie=- <ronald.bootsman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.10 and Adaptec 2940U/UW

-=b00tsie=- <ronald.bootsman@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a running FreeBSD 4.10 stable system, no problems at all.
>
> Now I am trying to add a tapestreamer to the system connected to a
> Adaptec 2940U/UW.

Is that an OnStream tape device or something else?

> I have recompiled the kernel, with the proper driver ahc uncommented.
>
> After rebooting with the new kernel, the system hangs completely.

Hardware problem? PCI resource conflict, IRQ for instance?
Does resetting the adapter in its own BIOS to factory settings help?
Is the drive attached when you have a problem?
Does the Adaptec work in a different PCI slot? Perhaps in a different
machine? Can you lend a different adaptor, such as a Tekram DC-390F or
U2W (Symbios 53C8XX based, so different driver needed) and try that?

> The last driver loaded is the ppc0, parallel port driver.

At that time, there should have been a few log lines for ahc0, please
show that - and please show a dmesg of your working system (without the
Adaptec installed). Do you see a message similar to this:

Nov 30 02:40:10 libertas /kernel: Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle

On my machine the ahc0 lines (of a 2940 UW Pro) are:

Nov 30 02:40:10 libertas /kernel: ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Pro Ultra SCSI adapter> port 0xe800-0xe8ff mem 0xe3020000-0xe3020fff irq 15 at device 8.0 on pci0
Nov 30 02:40:10 libertas /kernel: aic7880: Ultra Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/253 SCBs

--
Matthias Andree