Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 1995 04:27:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Some questions

On Thu, 3 Aug 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

Hi Mike and everyone,

> -Vince- stands accused of saying:
> > Hi everyone,
>
> G'day Vince - I've seen your questions before, but I thought that you
> should have had some answers by now 8(

	Well, someone did answer but it got me passed the ethernet part and
atleast the machine is on the net now... =)

> > 1) We will be running our own nameserver as cosc.gov but how do I do the
> > DNS entries and when we register our domain name with other nameservers
> > besides our own, do we have to update the hostnames for the cosc.gov
> > domain on our nameserver only or on all of the nameservers that are doing
> > the DNS for our domain.  Specifically, how do we setup a nameserver under
> > FreeBSD and also does the secondary nameservers just get it's updates from
> > the primary nameserver?  Sorry for some non-FreeBSD specific questions but
> > I'm sure some of you FreeBSD users would know very much about this stuff.
>
> Your best bet here is to go buy the O'Reilly DNS and Bind book.  Setting
> up a DNS is not a trivial task, and attempting to write about in in a mail
> message is suicide for the fingers.

	Can these be found in bookstores though besides mail-ordering
it?  I know a DNS is not easy but a example setup would be easier to
learn from.

> > 2) We will be providing ppp/slip on our machine... Is there anyway to start
> > ppp/slip from the shell as the server or do we have to use something like
> > slirp in order to do this since all the ppp/slip ip's will be routed
> > through the FreeBSD machine.  Also, would I need to set the option
> > "GATEWAY" on in the kernel config?
>
> Check the manual page for sliplogin for information on how to set a
> user's login up to run slip, and the ppp manual page for similar for ppp.
>
> You can, alternatively run SLiRP, which will greatly reduce the
> complications involved.

	Hmmm, okay will SLiRP actually do real ip addresses for the slip/ppp
since I thought SLiRP was a emulator like TIA?

> You will need to set the kernel gateway option.

	Oh okay....

> > 	Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for you help!
>
> No sweat. Sorry you got such a poor response before.

	That's okay, just hope the DNS issue can get worked out soon....

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!