Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 15:15:52 GMT
From:      peters@skye.icr.ac.uk (Dr Peter Schmidt)
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with NCR controller

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From peters Tue Jun  9 14:55:22 1998
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 15:43:19 +0100
From: Peter Schmidt <peters>
To: freebsd-users@freebsd-uk.eu.org, peters

Hi,
I just joined the UK FreeBSD group. So far, I have been an enthusiastic
and regular
user of FreeBSD. Unfortunately I ran into problems recently. These
problems
are related to my NCR53C810 SCSI controller. I am not quite sure, if it
is a hardware
and/or software problem.

Anyway: my PC configuration is as follows:

Pentium, Gigabyte Board, AMD 100 (133) MHZ chip
48 MByte RAM
NCR53C810 SCSI Controller
usual floppy drive
Elsa Winner 1000Trio Graphics card
disks and CD-ROM's

 IDE: Quantum Fireball 2.1 GByte
SCSI:        1.)   Toshiba CD-ROM
                  2.)  Quantum Atlas II 2.1 GByte
                  3.)  Quantum FireBall 4.3 GByte
The SCSI bus is properly terminated.

Operating Systems:
FreeBSD 2.2.5
Windows NT 4.0 (service-pack 3)

The problem is: the ncr-controller crashes occasionally and completely
randomly
with an ncr0:fatal error . It then gets a timeout and the machine hangs
and must
be rebooted. I do not get this failure with my Windows NT partition,
wich I also
installed on my PC. Does anyone have a clue what's going on? The NCR
controller
is about 4 years old and the Firmware version is 3.07.00.

Any suggestions are welcome

Regards
    Peter

----- End Included Message -----