Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 1995 09:20:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Bynum <bynum@eta.cs.fsu.edu>
To:        bobd@fox.nstn.ca (Robert Deschambault)
Cc:        questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Mouse Configuration

> >I currently have two possible mouse configurations.  I have a plain vanilla
> two-button mouse on COM1: or I can use an inport mouse on my ATI video card.
> I don't know how to configure the drivers under FreeBSD.  In the X11
> readme.fre file they talk about using a 'cat </dev/tty00' to see if the
> mouse is working.  In the xf86config utility the question of which driver to
> use for the mouse pops up.  I don't know which to use, /dev/mse0 or
> /dev/pse0 or /dev/tty00.  I have tried to run sh MAKEDEV mouse, but all I
> get is mouse->mouse in the dev directory.  When I try to use this driver I
> get a message about links being too deep.  When I tried to run the cat
> </dev/mse0 trick, I get an error message about the driver not being
> configured properly.  What do I have to do to get the system to recognize
> the mouse.

I had the same problem, i.e. I could not setup my mouse because there
wasn't any documentation for it. If your mouse attached to a serial port,
sio? (where ? is 0-0) then it's device file is /dev/tty0? (again where ?
is 0-3). I also setup a link from /dev/mouse to /dev/tty00 just for
readability.

Secondly since you have an inport mouse also, try MAKEDEV mse0 to make
a new device driver for inport mouse. Lastly take a look at the MAKEDEV
script, it does contain some info about the correct syntax to setup
inport mice.

Hope this helps,

Mark Bynum
bynum@cs.fsu.edu