Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 2002 13:20:09 -0600
From:      Jason Porter <leporter@xmission.com>
To:        Jim McAtee <jmcatee@mediaodyssey.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Using CVSup

Stable has more fixes in it than Release.  Release means that it's
release quality.  They can safely box it and ship it out.  Stable has
the same base as the Release version but contains fixes and is okay to
use on a production server (in theory).
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html#AEN27319
For the refuse file, there are also some handy examples in
/usr/src/share/examples/cvsup  Hope that helps.

Jim McAtee wrote:
| Shoot, I just noticed this at the URL I gave below:
|
| -----------------
| RELENG_4
|   The line of development for FreeBSD-4.X, also known as FreeBSD-STABLE.
|
| So, is -STABLE considered the "latest, safest, bug-fixed" version, or is
| RELEASE a safer bet?
|
| Jim

- --
- -Jason Porter

"Real programmers are secure enough to write
readable code, which they then self-righteously
refuse to explain."