Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 10:42:17 -0700
From:      "Hervey Wilson" <herveyw@dynamic-cast.com>
To:        <ddavid_3@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPPOE &ADSL on FreeBSD Tutorial

From: "David" <ddavid_3@yahoo.com>

> My present ISP, DSL.CA, provides 3 different setups', PPPOE, PPPOE with
> a static IP, and a straight IP address setup. ( mind, it's a $5 ca
> extra charge for the static IP) Mind you, if i may "basically" state,
> PPPOE is just another form of DHCP, but other technically orientated
> people may have a better description for it.
>
> If anything, I would say you are quite fortunate in not have to deal
> with PPPOE at all, especially in the initial implimentation :)

Thanks, I was beginning to think that it must be ISP specific. And yes, I do
consider myself fortunate - configuration of my ADSL interface has always
been trivial, no different than adding the machine to an IP network.

One other comment: We see an awful lot of traffic on -questions about ADSL
and PPPoE so your document is an excellent reference for people trying to do
this. I would suggest, however, one amendment: a block at the start of the
document that notes that not all ADSL connections are made the same and that
the user should be sure theirs requires PPPoE.

Thanks again for the clarification,
H.