Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 23:24:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      N <niels@bakker.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        inn-workers@isc.org
Subject:   Re: System hangs with current -STABLE kernel ...

Some days ago, scrappy@hub.org (The Hermit Hacker) wrote:

 > Starting earlier this week, my server has been hanging, except that I'm
 > able to ping it still.  The only way out is to cold-boot...
 > Now, the only thing that has changed prior to it being "un-stable" is
 > I've upgraded my INN to a more -current version, from the ISC cvs
 > repository,

I actually have the same problem.  FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE running on a PII-400
with 128 MB RAM, the June 6 snapshot of INN 2.3, no overchan etc.  The
machine doesn't crash that hard since there are no readers and only a very
small (real) feed.  The machine responds normally, it only leaves the innd
process in `D' state.  When I try to reboot the system (for the process is
both dead and unkillable) the machine doesn't get any further than
"Syncing disks... done" (should be followed by "Rebooting" and a reboot).

I forced a panic and have a crash dump with full debugging symbols.  The
innd process's WCHAN entry is `vmpfw' - no clue what _that_ is... If
anybody wants more information I'll be more than happy to provide it if I
am able to do so.

Thanks,

	-- Niels.