Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 09:18:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        dg@root.com, wes@softweyr.com, dyson@iquest.net, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2-stable, panic #12

> > >I've been following this conversation with growing concern.  It seems
> > >to me there is a fairly simple solution to this problem: create a
> > >branch for the ongoing VM work, enable commit privs on the branch for
> > >Matt and anyone else who's going to join in the fun, and then at times
> > >when they think it is appropriate and things have been adequately
> > >reviewed, we have a little merge-mania and things are better than ever.
> > >
> > >Are there any technological boundaries that prevent us from doing this?
> > >This is how we do it in the paid-for-code world.  ;^)
> >
> >    It sounds good at first, but sounds less so when you actually have to merge
> > the branches - this can be very difficult to do when lots of time has gone
> > by, especially when various (software) interface/infrustructure changes have
> > been made to both branches. They only way it would work would be if the time
> > differential were kept very short (perhaps one month or less).
> >
> It would be good to somehow come up with a creative scheme that would
> statisfy Matts patience issues and get the code out so that it can be tested
> and used before committing the code to the "real" tree.  I do understand
> Matt's issues regarding waiting for people to review code, but things would
> also work better if changes are "reviewed" before they are coded.

I agree- to a point. Having been involved in a large number of different
engineering "process" efforts at many companies, I can sympathize with all
aspects to this problem. It's more difficult with FreeBSD because there's
a notion of joint ownership for all who contribute.

I would suggest that, all in all, a more active 'core' group that directs
overall strategies and directs branches for major commits, might be the
best mix here- along with folks actually doing real metrics to prove or
disprove their assertions about the effects of VM and buffer cache things.
All of this with a bit of looseness that has occurred up until now (not
having things wired down has been a good thing, on balance).

In terms of design reviews and architecture *before* the commit, well, if
you want to go that route I can assure you it's a major amount of work. It
will bring FreeBSD into "adult" development- no large scale project with >
50 engineers really succeeds long term without it, but are you really
wanting to the tbings of: MRD (Market Requirement Document), External
Reference Spec, Internal Reference Spec, Test Plan, Architecture Review,
Implementation Review, *Commit*, Test, Release, Post Mortem Review.....

-matt