Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:03:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Subject:   Re: Executable packages (long, sorry)

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Koster, K.J. wrote:

> Riding on the wave of the unified BSD packages effort, this might be a good
> time to rekindle that idea. Say that we agree on some form of uniform
> package layout. You'd say that man pages go into $PKG_BASE/$PKG_NAME/man,
> and that libraries go into $PKG_BASE/$PKG_NAME/lib, and that there is
> probably a script named $PKG_BASE/$PKG_NAME/etc/rc that takes the arguments
> "start" and "stop" for system startup. A script named
> $PKG_BASE/$PKG_NAME/bin/run is invoked when a user types $PKG_NAME at the
> command prompt (triggered by a script in /usr/local/bin, which is symlinked
> to $PKG_NAME.

It's not possible to determine where a lot of packages install, at
run-time - they need compile-time settings. Our packages should mostly
(with some notable exceptions where it's just too damn hard) be
PREFIX-clean, meaning you can install them wherever you like, but you have
to specify that at port compile-time.

A similar idea has come up in the past about using something like stow to
keep ports in sepoarate directories with symlinks from a master
/usr/local/bin, but no-one's done the work to allow it. Hint.

Kris