Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 07:59:57 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Doug Barton" <DougB@gorean.org>, "gerti@BITart.com" <gerti@BITart.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 01:09:28 -0700, Doug Barton wrote:

>I have advocated for the needs of "remote" system administration for
>all of the time I have been involved in FreeBSD (since 2.1.5). I feel
>strongly that these needs are better served by maintaining the
>discussion in the established forums. This will help keep the topics
>within the sphere of discussion that will be seen by those who might not
>work with these types of situations on a day to day basis, and may not
>be aware of the special needs inherent in remote administration.

I don't see how keeping the discussion within established forums
do any good to those that need to discuss this matter. Many of
the current lists are somewhat crowded and somewhat too general.

Although it may be one more place to check for many, for others
it would be a place of less noise with a more specific topic of
discussion. Their messages won't be lost in the hundreds of
daily messages of the current lists.

Other times existing lists and proposed topics are not in sync.
For example the proposed FreeBSD-Corporate would discuss things
such as email, web apps and such. This may have nothing to do
with FreeBSD, but are needed by those  trying to use FreeBSD in
corporation/organization.

By the same token. If a company is NOT an ISP or web house and
has many remote machines which forum should he/she use? I think
this could also fall under the "corporate" umbrella.

I think the difference between ISPs and WEB houses from
"organizations" is the level of the people at the remote
location. An ISP or WEB house even at their collocation sites
may have people knowledgeable or that can at least follow
directions. That many times is not the case with corporations.
Where I work if something gets really screwed up we have to fly
someone in. In my particular case the company doesn't have may
locations so it is not too bad, but that may not be the case for
others and it may be more critical to them to have a forum to
discuss good remote admin strategies.