Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 22:10:55 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        bsdi-probleme@genua.de
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can I mount FreeBSD ufs fs's with BSDI and vice versa ?

	[ My BSDI host ID is: 407004174, demo version ]

Hi !

I had an installation problem with BSDI 3.0, see below ... but
first of all my ideas, how I plan to configure my system, is
that possible to do it the following way ....

I'm planning to reconfigure my machine to support 4 operating
systems using 3 x 2.1 GB SCSI harddisks and need some advice.

I'd love to get the following configuration up and running, so that
it's possible, to share my "data" filesystems on the 3rd disk
between FreeBSD-current and BSDI.

So I could try and test both operating systems without loosing user
data or mails ... the data partition with home dirs and news/www
proxy fs would be accessable from both OS's. Sounds like a dream,
eh ?! ;-) Well, hope this dream comes true. ;-)

Should I disable sector translation so that BSDI installation
is happier ? When the DOS/NT partition C:  and the extended
DOS partition D: for the shared swap area lives within 1024
cylinders, then it should be nor problem or ?

Or do I have to begin the BSDI partition within the 1024 cylinders
as well ????

Or is there another way, to keep sector translation enabled on the
SCSI host adapter and to get BSDI peacefully installed, without
BSDI telling me, that it has to create 32k/4k ufs filesystems,
which fails then, see below... ???

    |                           |shared |                          |
    | DOS/Win95/NT              | swap  | BSDI 3.0     32 MB root  |
sd0 |---------------------------|-------|--------------------------|
    |C:\ 900MB FAT DOS/WIN/NT   |NT/BSDI| 96 MB var, ~900 MB /usr  |
    |                           |       |                          |

    | FreeBSD-current                                              |
sd1 |--------------------------------------------------------------|
    | 32 MB root, 64 MB swap, 196 MB var, ~1.7 GB usr              |

    | FreeBSD-current / BSDI 3.0                                   |
sd2 |--------------------------------------------------------------|
    | 300 MB proxy-cache/news, 64 MB swap, ~1.7 GB user data       |

Another question ... yesterday I had an BSDI installation problem
when I tried to install BSDI on sd2.

During installation BSDI install program was unable to create
filesystems.

Here the steps up to the error message ...

	- custom setup
	- custom software setup
	- local cd-rom
	- configure sd0 - no
	- configure sd1 - no
	- configure sd2 - yes
	"Disksetup has detected an fdisk label on your disk.."
	"Use a fdisk table (required for sharing with
	 other OS) [YES] YES"
				CMOS	BIOS	FDISK	BSD/OS
	Heads		:	0	0	255	0
	sectors/track	:	0	0	63	0
	cylinders	:	0	0	263	0
	Total sectors	:	0	0	4225095	42226725
	- [T]able used by fdisk
	- change geometry [NO]
	"Disksetup has detected an FDISK table.
	 You may either start with this fdisk table.
	 If you create a new fdisk table you will loose all
	 information on this disk.
	 Use the current FDISK label [YES]" YES
	"A standard BSD partition table includes room for the
	 root fs .... Would you like to use a standard BSD
	 partition table ? NO"

	a  4.2	/           64260 (  31.4   4.0        0   64259
	b  swap swap       257040 ( 125.5  16.0    64260  321299
	c  ---- ----      4225095 (2063.0 263.0        0 4225094
	d  ---- ----
	e  4.2  /bench     706860 ( 345.1  44.0   321300 1028159
	f  4.2  /var       385560 ( 188.3  24.0  1028160 1413719
	g  4.2  /var/news  401625 ( 196.1  25.0  1413720 1815344
	h  4.2  /usr      2409750 (1176.6 150.0  1815345 4225094

	- Install a new MBR		? YES
	- bootany.sys			? YES
	- Install the new BSD/OS boot blocks ? YES
	- "bios"
	"current FDISK partition of type <unknown> (0xa5) will be
	 destroyed"
	- ok to write new MBR ? YES
	"Is partition of disk C: bootable..." YES
	- Write out new MBR [YES] ? NO
	- Ok to write new disk label and BSD/OS boot blocks [YES] ? YES
	Which file systems would you like to initialize ? [all] all

	After that the error message ...

" Custom installation failed to create a filesystem.
  Custom installation will try again, though it will most likely fail.
  You should investigate the problem and try custom installation
  after you have resolved the problem.
  With 16065 sectors per cylinder, minimum cylinders per group is
  64. This requires the block size to be changed from 8192 to 32768
  and the fragmented size to be changed from 1024 to 4096"

The configuration I wished to setup temporarily:

    |               |               |                              |
    | DOS/Win95/NT  | DOS DATA      | FreeBSD-current              |
sd0 |---------------|---------------|------------------------------|
    |                               | /, /www, /var, /usr          |

    | FreeBSD-current                                              |
sd1 |--------------------------------------------------------------|
    | 200 MB news, 1.8 GB /local                                   |

    | BSDI 3.0                                                     |
sd2 |--------------------------------------------------------------|
    | /, /var, /usr, /local                                        |

I configured sector translation in my AHA 2940 SCSI controller
because of the coexistence with DOS and the 1024 cylinder boundary.
Although (if I re-think) DOS resides within the first 1024 cylinders...

This leads to the following disk geometry ...

	Heads		:     255
	sectors/track	:      63
	cylinders	:     263
	sectors/cylinder:   16065
	Total sectors	: 4225095

BSDI install process seems to be unable to handle this accordingly.

Since I have removeable SCSI storage chassis with a key that turns
the drive on/off I simply installed BSDI on the 3rd disk under
SCSI ID 0 and have to enable/disable the right disks now.

Not very fine but ok ...

The Question is ... if I re-install everything with the goal, that
I share filesystems between the BSD's...

Should I better disable Sector translation since BSDI doesn't grok
filesystems with only a few cylinders because of sector translation ?

Or is there a workaround how I can tell BSDI during installation the
real Drive geometry ? But without loosing fdisk compatibility ...
Since I still want to use the FreeBSD boot manager to switch between
the different OS's ...

Any advice would be great !

	Andreas ///

--