Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 2016 13:55:35 +1100
From:      Kubilay Kocak <koobs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        lists@tcm.yi.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TEST_DEPENDS in all-depends-list et al.?

On 18/01/2016 7:11 AM, lists@tcm.yi.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can hardly imagine it being intentional that TEST_DEPENDS
> nowadays gets pulled into the all-depends-list, showconfig-recursive
> or package-recursive target, is it?
>
> ports/head from around 2015-12-18 had about 15(?) dependencies in
> www/py-requests for example. Now it wants to build over 90!
>
> How can I turn this off? Is this a bug?
>
> Regards

By definition all-depends means (and should mean) literally all
dependencies (*_DEPENDS), so in that regard it makes sense.

Having said that, given the special nature of the test stage (orthogonal
and independent to build/run dependencies), it sounds reasonable to ask
whether they should be included in the target (all-depends-list) that
has otherwise always only meant "what things does this port need to 'work'".

My personal opinion is that all-depends-list is fine, and a less
encompassing <something-else>-depends-list that only shows actual
end-user functional dependencies is needed.

This question is also relevant for the case of OPTION'al dependencies
(they're not included in all-depends by default unless they're
inOPTIONS_DEFAULT too), and would *also* apply if ports/pkg's had (or
ever will have) any notion of 'suggested/recommended' but otherwise
non-compulsory dependencies like other packaging systems.

./koobs