Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 11:00:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Stephen Hocking <shocking@bloop.craftncomp.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recent DEVFS souncard changes

On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Stephen Hocking wrote:

> The recent DEVFS soundcard changes don't register (in the devfs fs) the
> sound blaster component of my PAS-16. The PAS stuff goes in OK, but the 8 bit
> sound blaster stuff (which is picked up on the kernel probe, and can be used
> as /dev/{dsp1,audio1}  in the conventional /dev.

Hm... I guess I had assumed that unit numbers were assigned on a
per card basis, but they must be assigned on a per-driver basis.
It looks like sndattach() will have to get a little more
complicated. It also sounds (no pun intended) like sndattach()
may not be getting called with the unit number set correctly;
you should have gotten dsp1 and audio1 if it was correctly set.

Anybody more familiar with the sound code care to step in here???

Regardless, I'm glad it at least sort of works for you, which is
better than it was before!

-john